Ministry of Health, department of health promotion
Year(s) : 2009
Grant Recipient Type : Government
Grantor : World Lung Foundation (WLF)
Direct Grant : No
This project supports MPOWER letter goal P, W
Key achievement to date: Poland’s Ministry of Health launched a two-month mass media campaign to inform millions of smokers about the serious effects of smoking on their health and the health of their children. An adaptation of New York City’s “Cigarettes Are Eating You Alive” was used to graphically depict how smoking damages vital organs of the body and causes serious health problems in children exposed to cigarette smoke. The campaign also offered smokers help quitting by providing a federal quit line number.
Major accomplishments to
- - The campaign was on air for two month on national TV channels and was up weighted with free placement via regional Chief Sanitary Inspectorate (CSI) channels (The CSI is the division of the MoH responsible for tobacco control).
- - Media activity was strengthened by local events organized around the country under the auspices of the CSI as well.
- - To evaluate the campaign effectiveness,
two nationwide surveys were conducted in July
December 2009 by the NGO Health Promotion
Foundation, in cooperation with the research
agency TNS/OBOP which showed positive changes
in smokers knowledge, attitudes and self
reported behavior towards tobacco use.
- During the campaign, the number of quit line calls doubled compared to the same period the year before
- The MoH included TC MMC as a crucial component into their National TC Strategy document